Throwing a Surprise Party

Yesterday I had a rude awakening in the form of a 10am Maths lecture. Not much fun. To make matters worse, I had gotten to the bus stop early only to have two buses drive straight past me, making me late for my lecture and a little pissed off.

Maths was pretty good once I got there. I didn't miss much as he started off with a recap. We continued work on the gradient operator which I actually really like. I find it super interesting and it all makes sense in my head, which is rare! The lecture went really quickly and then I headed back home as I had LOADS to do to set up for Abi (my housemate) and Emily (my coursemate)'s surprise Birthday party.

I spent a ridiculous amount of time working on the mountain of washing up that had accumulated in our kitchen, followed by tackling the mess that my room had become over the last few days. Once the house looked kinda tidy I started on the birthday cake. My housemate Abi is veggie and Emily is vegan so I decided to make a vegan chocolate cake. I'd never baked anything vegan before but Toms flatmate from last year was a vegan so I used a recipe from her. It was a super easy recipe as you could do it in cup measurements. I didn't have to go out of my way to get any extra ingredients which was good. Honestly, you could barely taste the difference from the vegan cake and the chocolate cake I usually make. I'll link the recipe here in case you wanna give it a go, I'd definitely recommend it! I filled the cake with a vegan buttercream, which I made up as I went. It was basically vegan butter (I used Pure Sunflower spread), icing sugar, a little cocoa powder and some melted vegan chocolate. It was a little runnier than usual but still good :)




At 4.30 I had to head back into uni as I was going to the UEA:TV Meet-up, which was a big group meeting where the heads of the society explain everything about the society and how it all works. It was really interesting learning about all the different departments within UEA:TV and how they all work together. I'm definitely going to be joining in but I'm not sure how confident I feel about presenting my own ideas right now.

Whilst I was away Becky and Rosie decorated the lounge for the party later and it looked so magical! They used some really cute multicoloured bunting and heart-shaped balloons that I had bought from Tiger and it really created a party atmosphere! I'm pretty sure we're gonna leave them up for the rest of the year!

People began arriving from about 7ish and the house filled up pretty quickly! I was still feeling a little hungover/tired from the weekend so I kind of kept a low profile and chatted with my lovely friend Elin in the kitchen. Everyone played games which was super fun and then we lit the candles on the cake and sang happy birthday which was so sweet.

I think it's so important to make a big deal of events like peoples birthdays, because it gives you a chance to make someone feel really special, and thats exactly how you should feel on your birthday. Both birthday girls had a great time and I was happy I could be a part of that!

I left the party fairly early to try and get some sleep as I had a pretty full on day the next day. Things are starting to pile up and I have a constant feeling of panic surrounding me, it's not the one. Hopefully over the next few days I can calm down a bit, and I know seeing Tom this weekend will help. Thanks for reading, let me know if you try out the cake recipe, it's so good!! See you next time guys!

Zoë x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DC duck tour!!

Ditsy Daisy Nails!

Green Screen Laughs, Mum & Dad's Silver Anniversary & Jim Bacon's Retirement!